The Abundant Community Initiative at a glance…
The purpose of The Abundant Community Initiative…
is to advance the development of neighbourhood well-being in Edmonton neighbourhoods following the principles and practices recommended by Peter Block and John McKnight in their book The Abundant Community.
- Your ideas about the neighbourhood joining other ideas to help our Community League lead into the future.
- Finding others in the neighbourhood who also enjoy what you or your kids do (e.g. ball hockey, walking, guitar, knitting, stamping, etc.).
- Using your abilities to – care for seniors, garden, coach, babysit, etc. – in order to help each other out and make our neighbourhood an even better place to live!
At the heart of the Initiative…
- is a neighbour or two on each block who will initiate a casual conversation with each household on their block/cul-de-sac/building floor, about their:
- Vision for their neighbourhood,
- Activities and interests that they can do together, and the
- Skills, gifts or abilities they are willing to share with their neighbours or the whole neighbourhood.
- Work with community leagues or community groups/organizations to hire a Connector Coordinator who will:
- Identify, enlist and organize approximately 50 Block Connectors,
- Facilitate and encourage the Block Connector’s conversation process, and
- Collate/group the information from the conversations on behalf of the neighbourhood and the organizing community league or community group/organization.
- Initiates a momentum of household connection within each block/cul-de-sac/building floor and the neighbourhood.
- Shapes neighbourhood life according to residents’ vision of their neighbourhood.
- Facilitates relationships through the formation of new groups/associations of shared interests within the neighbourhood.
- Connects the gifts, skills and abilities of neighbours to other neighbours and the neighbourhood.
- Connects block/cul-de-sac/building floor neighbours together through a relationship with their Block Connector.
Please visit our facebook page and connect!